Navbar

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Westernization of the India Nation

On the train ride I was speaking with the guy who sat across from me. I was asking him if he liked to watch cricket. His response was all too typical of the 'new' India. No, I like to watch WWE. The World Wrestling Federation goes by World Wrestling Entertainment now. I'm not sure if this a global change or just an India thing.
I was disappointed to hear this, but at the same time, it was something we could talk about since I've heard about wrestling from so many other people over here.
"Oh yeah, I bet you like Kali don't you? It's a shame about the Undertaker busting up his legs. He'll be out of it for awhile, but I hear he's now doing yoga. Which wrestler do you like? etc. etc."
I was suprised about how much I know about this useless information.

Another guy was asking me if I watched cricket and I told him I don't have a TV, so I don't watch TV. He was dumbfounded. A westerner who doesn't watch TV? An American at that? He asked me incredulously what I did in my free time. I listed off a handful of more interesting options such as, painting, hiking, rock climbing, guitar playing, reading, talking, laughing, joking, eating, being, etc. By his repsonse, I could tell that
none of these could match the amount of satisfaction that he receives from watching TV. I would have tried to explain to him things a little more in detail, but he was annoying and I didn't want to give him any more of my time.

1 comment:

  1. And India is not a nation, it's a fucking civilization that has spanned millenia. Get it???

    You come from a stolen land ruled by guns and greed.

    ReplyDelete