Navbar

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Jaisalmer to Delhi - Overnight Train

So this time around, we were prepared for the train ride. Our tiffen (a little india lunch box) was full of warm food made by a friend, warm clothes and a some sheets were handy in case of the cold and most of all, we were mentally prepared since we took the same trip a month ago.

Despite all this preparation, twenty hours is still twenty hours. In situations like these you can't speed time up other then with good conversations or some mental activity. For the indians, cards seems to be a popular past time, but only with the type of people who would play cards in the states. Usually groups of women aren't gambling with cards.

The people we sat with this time were pleasent enough. One was a early twenties guy out visiting his sister. Another two were a couple out travelling. At first there's always the awkwardness of being stuck in a small compartment with people you don't know. Just siting and staring. Occasional eye contact followed by a smile, paves the way for interaction. The conversation was good and that's about all you can ask for.

In the morning we awoke to a whole new set of people occupying the seats. I guess everyone else got off in Jaipur or Jodhpur. There was a french couple who kept to themselves. I feel bad for french, they seem to rude and no one wants to talk with them. This couple could have been nice, but they came off not nice so I didn't bother.

As the train approached Delhi more and more people climbed aboard. Soon the bench seat made for three, now had five people. Ash was on the other side with the two frenchies and they still had three people in their seat cause the women said 'no, no, no.'

Eventually one guy squeezed himself in, but there was a few others crowded around wanting a seat. There were two guys standing up next to the seats complaining about how there was a seat there. I asked what was up, and he said that there was another
seat over there and he was standing and that was a problem. I told him that all depends on your point of view. They didn't seem to have a problem with it. Seems like it was only his problem.

The guy was an annoying frat boy type punk. He had his buddy with him so he felt he could laugh and joke. On my lap was a blank pad and I was holding my pencil, he asked what I was doing so I told him I was getting ready to draw. Then I did this mean drawing of with him having big ears, goofy hair and a big gap between his face.
Once his friend got off the train, he felt shy and out numbered, so he just put on his headphones and zoned out.

It's too bad that headphones and the isolation of the individual is finding it's where over here to India. I thought that was purely an American phenomena. I think I'll continue with this thought in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment