Navbar

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Indian English

I'll miss quite a few things when I leave in India, but one of the things I'll miss most is the way the Indians use the english language. It's so unique.

When talking about being slow, they always say 'slowly slowly.' When talking about working hard they say 'I was working very hardly.' I tried to tell my friend Roop that 'hardly' means 'not much at all' but he just said that's the way they say things over here.

If someone is being jealous, they are 'jealousing me.' You can also be 'afraiding' as well. There was a sign that said, 'Child Beer.' I'm assuming it was really for chilled beer. There's a restaurant called the 'Chocolate Log.' I don't know what they serve and I never will.

The menu's are pretty funny too. This one place had different breakfasts for different countries. The American breakfast was typical - eggs, meat, potatoes, etc. The english breakfast was some nasty english food and the German breakfast was, toast, coffee, and a cigarette.

One of my favorites was a pizza place that advertised: Better pizza through technology and innovation. I'm not sure what technology they are using, but the pizza wasn't all that great.

No comments:

Post a Comment