Navbar

Friday, February 22, 2008

The Undertaker

The past few days I've had to break the hearts of some of my Indian friends by letting them know the truth about television. The truth is, no matter how much pomp and show they have, and no matter how many individuals are ther watching it live, it's a sad fact of life that WWF just isn't real. It's a play. A staged fight scene like something you might see in a Hollywood movie.

"Nooo... they're really jumping on each other. They're really hitting each other."

"No my friend," I respond sadly, "It's all a farce."

"But they're really hitting each other. They're jumping from the ropes... etc. etc."

This discourse was initiated by a long description about how Kali was fighting the Undertaker. I felt as though I was having a conversation with my nephews back in the day. It's sad enough that TV's are becoming more and more prevalant in India, but it is even sader that WWF has come to India.

I'm not sure if they belived me, but my final example was in reference to some shady fighting where one of the wrestlers took an iron bar and hit the other guy on the head and the leg when the ref wasn't looking. I told him that if he thought this was real, he could hit Roopa on the head with an iron bar as hard as he could. If Roop was still alive then WWF is real, but I was of the opinion that Roop would be dead as a doornail. The experiment was never followed through and thier still watching WWF.

Hey, at least I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment