Navbar

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Communication

As my weeks here progress I'm slowly learning more and more Hindi each day. I still can't understand what most people say, but I can communicate just fine.

One of the things I like about not speaking the local language is my ability to read people. Since the words people speak are unintelligble, I rely on other cues. Body language, eye contact, posture, tone of voice, etc. Using these other clues it's easier to see when someone is genuine or not.

It's easier to pick up the vibe a person has in this scenario. When I understand the language someone is saying they may be able to con me with pretty words or compliments. In India, I can only rely on my gut instinct, and my gut is always right so long as my brain doesn't confuse the message.

When I'm out painting, people are always coming to watch. Some talk with me, some I talk back with. It's easy to tell which people are genuinely interested or which only want to mess with the tourist. Today a group of young men came and sat around me. Some spoke a little English, some none. The group dynamic was so easy to read. There was one guy who was a handsome man and clearly the leader of the group, but it was obvious he was the most insecure as well. He was showing me his Ray Ban sunglasses and just being annoying all around. He asked if I could paint a picture of him, and I said for $100 bucks I can.

"Oh, aren't you my friend?" he said. I replied that I wasn't, but if he wanted a painting he could pay for it. After that he was quiet for awhile and I chatted with the other cooloer guys in the group.

Almost every shop owner asks how you are doing, but a few of them actually seem to care. And these I respond, the others I ignore. It's good practice just reading peoples true character. Looking at the inside of they are as compared to the outward expressions of who they want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment