Navbar

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Painting with Children

Last night I was painting and all these kids were swarming around me. Some were little brats and a little annoying. Some were cool and cheerful. Overall I wasn't too bothered, by it. I try to tune them out, but apparently the scene was being watched by this older guy. He's a brahmin who hangs out sometimes and I've painted around him before.

In the middle of my painting, I hear this voice that screams out like a lion and says something in Hindi. All the children scatter and I turn around and see him sitting there. He was just trying to give me a little peace and for the rest of the drawing I was disturbed by anyone.

Today when I was painting at this other place, once again I was the object of attention. Throughout my walks around town I've befriended this little clique of shoe polisher kids. The first time I was painting and they approached me, they were very respectful. When other kids came up and started asking for rupees and being annoying, these kids were like... 'lay off pal, he's cool.'

So I'm painting and the kids are watching and one of the adults who has a store nearby yelled at these kids to clear out fast. They were hesitant, but then he came over and intimidated them with some force. They scattered for a bit, but returned every so often to check up on the painting.

Throughout all of this, I mostly just watch and let things be as they may. I'm not going to change any Indian's perspective on their social structure. In India it is just as rigid as it is in America. Shoe shiners will always be on the bottom of the hiearchy. All I can do is treat them as equals when they're around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment