Navbar

Saturday, February 9, 2008

A town for Tourists

I think there is something negative about tourist towns. I haven't exactly nailed it down yet, but the vibe is different then most towns.

Jaisalmer has changed a little bit since I came here last. The same amount of tourists, but more shops and more hotels competing for the same amount of money. So the touts and hawkers are a little more persistent.

I've met up with some of my friends from the past and it's been good. Eating at friends houses amongst good company always beats eating out. This morning, Ashlee and I helped cook and make some chapati's. This is some knowledge that Ash was anxious to bring back with us.
Some of the other locals seem to have a holier than thou attitude. It's like they despise the tourists, yet without them they wouldn't be riding around on thier fancy motorcycles.

I notice this same attitude in Yosemite. I work with some people that just DESPISE the tourists that visit. Some are waiters and they walk out in the restaurant with smiles on, but when they walk into the kitchen, they use some of foulest language I've ever heard. Although part of this goes with the waiter culture. It doesn't matter what restaurant you go to, most waiters don't like you, they only like your tip. Any request is seen as annoying and any conversation is only to amuse you. Their main concern is getting off in a few hours and hanging out with friends.

In the long run, this attitude of superiority will only make less tourists come here. So they're only shooting themselves in the foot. I know if I didn't have friends here, I wouldn't come back. But I'm good at ignoring things I don't like, so I enjoy my time here. The old fort in the desert is amazing. The sun on the castle is beautiful, the air is fresh when it's not dinner time and people are cooking with coal in the streets and every night I sleep a sound comfortable sleep. In the end that's all I care about.

1 comment:

  1. Tuolumne waiters, aye. LOL!!! This post brought back some funny memories.

    ReplyDelete