Navbar

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Watching Programs

On Netflix, you can watch certain TV programs that you might see on Discovery Channel or PBS. I've tried to watch a view, but they remind me of why I don't like watching television.

This one program I tried to watch was about the Middle Ages. It sounded like it could have shown some interesting information. Unfortunately it was produced in that same old boring way all TV shows are produced. With an emphasis on theatrics and violence, the show plodded along without giving the viewer any useful information.

I should have known better, because the intro to the show was done with lightning fast edits between clips of dungeon torture scenes, muddy war battles and some so called 'expert' droning on about how horrible the times were. All these types of shows are the same. There's a system that works for shows about Vietnam, Ancient Egypt, or the Middle Ages. Show some dumb reenactment, show some 'expert', back to the dumb reenactment with a voice over, pan over some photos, roll credits.

That Ken Burns guy does an alright job with documentaries like Jazz and the Civil War, but overall this format for presentating information is pretty boring. So needless to say I wasted about ten minutes of my life watching this horrible show before I realized it wasn't going to get any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment